14 Mar Learning Online: Learning and Collaborating – Free Course
Course Direct Link:
Learning Online: Learning and Collaborating:
Become an effective online learner and develop your online communication skills when working with others.
Why join the course?
Online learning is likely to be important for you in the future, either at university or in the workplace. Learning online is different to learning in the classroom as it requires different skills. This course will help you to develop those skills, showing you how to learn and communicate effectively in an online environment.
This course is just one of a series about ‘learning online’, which introduces you to the essential skills and tools you need to study effectively online.
What topics will you cover?
1. Learning environments: an introduction to VLEs and MOOCs
2. The learning journey and the differences between classroom-based and online learning
3. Techniques for learning effectively online
4. Using discussions to aid online learning
5. Collaborating online: using wikis and other collaborative tools
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to…
1. Assess your current level of confidence with learning online.
2. Explore the online learning that is available via search engines, video channels and social media.
3. Explore more formal online learning environments such as VLEs and contribute to the discussion regarding your experiences.
4. Explore MOOCs, and identify the importance of the learning journey and defining personal learning goals.
5. Reflect on the factors which help you to learn effectively online.
6. Identify the implications of not using online communications effectively.
7. Assess your knowledge of learning by video using short quizzes.
8. Explore online profiles and understand how to make the most of learning discussion forums.
9. Explore the value of working collaboratively with others online by contributing to online discussions.
10. Explore tools such as wikis, pinboards and reports to collaborate online.
11. Assess your post-course confidence with learning online by participating in the test which concludes the course.
Who is the course for?
This course is part of the Going to University collection which has been specifically designed for students at schools and colleges. They provide a taster of undergraduate study at the University of Leeds and help students to decide which subject to study at university.
– Completion of the courses will also enhance students’ university applications.
– The courses can also be used as a teachers’ classroom enrichment resource.
– Courses in this collection are also great for people that want an introduction in the specific subjects discussed in each course.
Who will you learn with?
Dean of Digital Education and Professor of Educational Technology at the University of Leeds. For more information see: https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/education/staff/156/professor-neil-morris
My role is Head of Digital Education at the University of Leeds. I work with a team of 50 and our remit is to to develop innovative online courses.
Who developed the course?
As one of the UK’s largest research-based universities, the University of Leeds is a member of the prestigious Russell Group and a centre of excellence for teaching.
This Course is Part of “Tech & Coding Courses”
Learn to code or develop your programming skills with online coding courses – from beginner to advanced level. Explore technology trends – like big data, cyber security, data science or digital marketing – with flexible courses from top universities.
– Learn flexibly online, for free:
Start or build a well-paid career in fields like coding, cyber security, data science or digital marketing with a short online course, an in-depth program or full postgraduate degree. Start learning for free, on desktop, tablet or mobile.
– Upgrade for full access, tests and Certificates:
Upgrade your course to get unlimited access, take tests and show employers the skills you’ve developed with a Certificate of Achievement. Prices start from £39.
– Boost your career:
Get ahead and learn with experts from the world’s top universities, specialist organisations and tech companies. Network with and learn from other professionals all over the world.
– Series Link: