27 Feb You won't get a scholarship at ASU
Just one man’s experience being unable to obtain a scholarship at a major university; despite having a perfect 4.0 GPA… Please share your own experiences in the comments!
“Affirmative action” is a euphemism for discrimination on the basis of non-merit, demographical factors. Without wading into the ideological quagmire of “fairness”, please at least consider the following facts:
* Discrimination foments feelings of resentment in perceived victims.
* Discrimination creates legitimate doubts about the qualifications of perceived beneficiaries. Even legitimate achievements earned by such people are tarnished by the stigma of being glorified participation trophies. This undermines the credibility and competence of the people these programs seek to benefit; the exact opposite of the desired effect.
* Financial aid can be allocated just as easily on the basis of financial need; a much more logical practice.
* A race-blind, gender-blind selection process would completely eliminate discrimination in both directions, thereby achieving instantaneous meritocracy.
* Any program that needs to hide behind a meaningless euphemism probably isn’t morally defensible. Euphemisms obscure and distort the truth of what one is actually doing. Their use is therefore a clear indicator of shame rather than pride. If you cannot even bring yourselves to admit what you are doing, your conscience is telling you something.