06 Jun Best Kept Secret to Write Winning Grants – Using the Freedom of Information Act Strategically
In this webinar at LearnGrantWriting.Org, we outline how you can get everything you want using the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) – a vital tool of our participatory system of government. Our presenter, Tara O’Hanley, walks you through several topics related to FOIA requests, including:
– A quick-and-dirty overview of the Freedom of Information Act’s fascinating history: how it came to be, what it’s used for, its surprising list of supporters and detractors, and important precedents that have resulted from it
– What you can learn from an FOIA request and how to know whether it’s worth pursuing
– What the process looks like, including how to submit a request, what to expect when communicating with government agencies, possible associated processing fees, and how far in advance you need to submit your requests
– Valuable tips for streamlining your request to maximize the benefit and minimize the effort of everyone involved – including that of your funder
– Reasons why your FOIA request may be denied (don’t worry; there aren’t very many and they probably don’t apply to your situation)
– Reasons why you might not want to submit a FOIA request (again here, there aren’t many – but in this case they’re significant and worth your careful consideration)
– A general overview of other existing options for getting examples of prior winning proposals from various funding agencies
– What to look for when reviewing previously funded projects that will help you assess your own organization’s competitiveness so you can prepare the most complete and compelling applications moving forward
Successfully competing for federal grants is about more than following the application instructions. Savvy grant seekers have many tools in their back pocket, and the FOIA just may end up being the tool you have been looking for.
To get access to the resource guide Tara references, visit our website and register for this webinar replay. You will also get access to all of our webinar training replays.
Here’s a detailed blog post as well: